About Vixen Sphinx SXP2
Designed for the astrophotographer, Vixen’s Sphinx SXP2 Equatorial Mount builds on leading edge innovations developed through decades of experience designing German Equatorial Mounts. The Vixen SPHINX SXP2 mount and STAR BOOK TEN hand controller display the best in portable GoTo technology.
Vixen’s new Sphinx SXP2 Mount comes standard with the STAR BOOK TEN. This new generation of hand held controllers features a high definition LCD screen and the technology to show you the sky before your telescope takes you there. The Vixen SXP2 Mount has a maximum loading weight of 50 lbs for astrophotography and 60 lbs for the visual observer.
The Sphinx SXP Mount features belt driven motors designed to react smoothly and accurately., eliminating backlash. The micro slow motion control assures you of smooth operation.
R.A and DEC
The R.A. and DEC wheels have 180 teeth. They are high precision machined wheels and worm gears made of brass for the most accurate tracking possible. The R.A. and DEC shafts are comprised of strong carbon steel. The rotational parts have 15 bearings. All this to provides smooth tracking and slewing.
Unique Mount Design
The Sphinx SXP2 Mount is designed so that the mount body acts as part of the counterweight system.
Periodic Error Correction
Data from you input is saved for your next observing session.
Polar Axis Scope
The New Vixen Polarie Polar Scope PF-L improves on the performance of Vixen’s original polar scope. Using a 3 star alignment with a smart phone app, setting up alignment is an easy process.
• In the northern hemisphere, the polar axis is aligned by placing three bright stars in the specified positions
• No need to set hour angle
• The built-in scale is illuminated in red, so that it is clearly visible in the night sky
• The brightness of the illumination can be dimmed in 8 increments
• When pressing the illumination button, the scale is illuminated for one to two minutes
• Power will automatically turn off after one to two minutes to prevent unnecessary power consumption
The STAR BOOK TEN is the most advanced astronomical hand controller available and is recommended for anyone interested in exploring the night sky. The innovative STAR BOOK TEN hand controller offers astronomical navigation with a large full-color High Definition LCD screen! The color screen is a detailed star chart that acts as a navigational and GOTO guide for the mount.
The Advance Unit is now available. Installing the Advance Unit on the STAR BOOK TEN enhances your auto guiding capabilities. This allows you to view an image from a CCD camera, record or play back from an SD card and adjust the shutter exposure controls of a DSLR camera. Includes the sturdy Vixen HALSXG Tripod. The HAL130 tripod provides ample stability and has no wobble points in its design. The HAL130 has a large base to carry the Sphinx SXP2 mount. The tripod extends from 32″ to 51″ (81cm to 130cm) and weighs 12 lbs. (5.5 kg).
Vixen Sphinx SXP2 Specifications
- Mount Type
- Motorized German equatorial
- Load Capacity
- Observation: 60 lb (27.2kg)
Astrophotography: 50 lb (22.6kg), without counterweights
- Micro stepper motor, 300 pulse/sec
- GoTo Capability
- Yes. Star Book Ten controller
- Altitude Adjustment Range
- 0 – 70 Degree; 0.8 Degree/rotation
- Latitude Adjustment Range
- +/-7 Degree, 2 Degree/rotation
- Polar Axis Scope
- Power Source
- 12 VDC
- Includes Tripod/Pier
- Aluminum tripod
Adjustable height: 25 – 39″ (63.5 – 99.1cm)
Weight: 12.1 lb (5.5kg)
- Mount head: 14 x 13.5 x 5″ (35.6 x 34.3 x 12.7cm)
- 24.25 lb (11kg) fully assembled without counterweights